Thursday, October 27, 2016

The Gift of Alone

Do you try to combat loneliness with busyness? Does the fear of dying alone leave you restless? Solitude is a harsh reality, but dare I say solitude is a gift.



I have spent this season of my life in a place of solitude. I tried to deter my loneliness with busyness, resulting in me being overwhelmed alone. While I wallowed in self pity, I was neglecting an intimacy call from the Holy Spirit.
You can't have intimacy without solitude.


"With the crowd dispersed, He climbed the mountain so He could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night."
 Matthew 14:23

"While it was still night, way before dawn, He got up and went outside to a secluded spot and prayed." 

Mark 1:35

Jesus's life was spent in the heart of the crowd or desolated on His knees before The Father. What does this say about Jesus? Jesus needed to be alone. Jesus withdrew from the crowd when He desired nearness with The Father.

God doesn't lead you out on your own to watch you helplessly wander. He mutes outside voices, so you can hear His alone. Isolation for the purpose of connection. Don't isolate yourself, but honor His call to intimacy, the 5 minutes a day you have to breathe or the last 5 years of your life.

Stop looking at your season of solitude as a lack of friendship, relationship, companionship and start looking at it as a time for Him to be sufficient. Solitude can become a stronghold for depression and anxiety to tightly grip, instead let it be a time of refreshing serenity with the Holy Spirit.

"Don’t grieve God. Don’t break his heart. His Holy Spirit, moving and breathing in you, is the most intimate part of your life, making you fit for himself. Don’t take such a gift for granted."
Ephesians 4:30 

Solitude may be but a season, but solitude is a gift. 


//The Perfect Little Christian

2 comments:

  1. This touched my heart ❤️. Thank you. For I am alone, I struggle with loneliness. But it is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I am a super busy person, but I love to get alone. Get away from the crowds and sit very still, praying and waiting to hear His voice, to feel His presence. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete